Have you noticed a fine, red, but hysterical, hot and fiery rash along your babies nappy area? First time mommies usually present quite worried and frantic emotions about this common form of “newborn dermatitis”. Up to a third of babies and toddlers in nappies have nappy rash at any one time. It doesn’t usually develop in newborns, but all babies can get nappy rash.
Nappy rash can be caused by:
- Your baby’s skin being in contact with urine or stools for a longer than usual period of time
- The nappy causing abrasions against your baby’s skin
- Poor cleaning of the nappy area
- Not changing the nappy often enough
- Soap, detergent or bubble bath
- Alcohol-based baby wipes
- Your baby recently taking antibiotics
Nappy rash may appear as blotch, red patches on your baby’s bottom, or their skin may look sore and feel hot to touch. There may also be papules or blisters on the skin. If the rash is severe your baby may feel uncomfortable, crying and jerking on touch or cleaning of the nappy area. Remember the age old saying, “Prevention is better than cure”.
Here’s a list of steps to follow to treat and prevent nappy rash:
- Change nappies frequently, immediately after each poo
Clean the nappy area thoroughly using water or alcohol-free and fragrance free baby wipes
- Clean the nappy are from front to back applying gentle pressure
- Apply a barrier cream to your babies bottom to protect their skin
- Bath your baby daily using gentle baby toiletries to prevent their skin from drying out. – Bathing too often may result in dry skin
- Bathing too often may result in dry skin
- Leave the nappy area open for some time after their bath so that it may air dry
- Avoid using unnecessary soaps, foam bath, lotions, fragrances and baby powders as these may irritate your babies skin.
Should the rash continue for more than 3 days, form white or red pimples, become more aggressive in appearance and seem to be spreading, it’s time to see your doctor for a prescription of a stronger nappy rash cream. The use of a good quality nappy cannot be more important for the protection of your babies skin. Predo Baby nappies have been designed with the above information taken into account to ensure you have a healthy and happy baby always.
Dr Raeesa Aboobaker
Masters Degree: Homeopathy
(Dr Raeesa Aboobaker endorses Predo baby diapers)